Dementia Friends Training in Lowestoft
9th May 2018 – Staff and volunteers at Citizens Advice attended training recently given by the Alzheimer’s Society where they learnt about the different types of Dementia and how the disease affects people in different ways.
The group did an exercise on how to explain to someone the process of making a cup of tea, writing out the stages required and some in the group had up to 25 stages!
“The exercise highlighted something that we all take for granted and made us think” said one attendee, “and it will help us make allowances for clients who struggle to tell us what their problems are. It was really useful.”
The 10 staff and volunteers who attended the training were taught the five key messages of being a Dementia Friend;
- Dementia is not a natural part of aging
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
- Dementia is not just about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks
- It’s possible to live well with dementia
- There’s more to a person than the dementia
The exercise and training was all about raising awareness about Dementia and importantly, that it doesn’t just affect elderly people.